No ambulance for severely burnt worker
Hungry Jack’s has been fined $90,000 after one of its South Australian employees was severely burned and it failed to call an ambulance.
The young worker had been asked by his supervisor to filter cooking oil from deep-fryers using a mobile filter.
“During the process, the worker slipped and fell into the open top of the mobile filtration unit, which resulted in hot oil splashing onto him,” said SafeWork SA in a media statement.
“An ambulance was not called, despite the worker sustaining third-degree burns to more than 10 per cent of his body, including his right hand, forearm and right-side torso, requiring skin grafts.”
SafeWork SA prosecuted Hungry Jack’s in the Industrial Relations Court of SA under the former Occupational Health, Safety and Welfare Act 1986. The charges included failing to provide safe plant, failing to maintain safe systems of work and failing to provide a procedure which ensured that employees received proper medical treatment.
Hungry Jack’s was fined $150,000, which was reduced to $90,000 plus costs following the company’s early guilty plea and contrition.
Hungry Jack’s had been prosecuted for a similar incident that occurred in July 2003.
“Since these incidents, Hungry Jack’s has reviewed its policies and procedures for oil filtering and will now install self-filtering deep-fryers in SA,” said SafeWork SA.
“The company has also committed to spend more than $5 million replacing existing fryers with self-filtering fryers nationally.”
For more details, visit SafeWork SA
Published on 26 February 2015 in the NSCA Foundation Safe-T-Bulletin