National freecall: 1800 655 510    Student and Member Portal  

Severely burnt and rendered unconscious

Home
Construction
Severely burnt and rendered unconscious

Severely burnt and rendered unconscious

A UK building company has been prosecuted after a worker was burnt and placed in an induced coma.

The worker was “removing electrical equipment from a basement wall on 1 August 2012 believing it all to be safely disconnected”, when he severed a 415-volt electrical cable, the UK Health and Safety Executive (HSE) said in a media statement.

He sustained severe and extensive burns, was in an induced coma for two weeks, and hospitalised for several weeks, and continues to live with psychological problems and pain, the HSE added.

The HSE investigated the incident and found that Acton-based “Dray Building Ltd had failed to provide suitable signage highlighting the live cable, had failed to provide barriers around the work equipment for other suitable safety measures. Had these requirements been met, then the accident could not have happened in the way that it did”.

Dray Building Ltd of Dephna House, North Acton Road, London was prosecuted in the Westminster Magistrates’ Court for breaching UK construction regulations.

It was fined £10,000 and ordered to pay £9,882 in costs.

For more detail, visit the HSE.

Published on 23 April 2014 in NSCA Safe-T-Bulletin.

There are no comments on this article yet.

All comments must be reviewed and approved before they appear against an article.

Leave a Reply



Safe-T-Bulletin

Safety and Training E-Bulletin is a free subscription service emailed fortnightly with news, training dates and NSCA updates.

 

© Fire and Safety Australia Pty Ltd


Connect with the NSCA on LinkedIn Subscribe to RSS feed

 

The name NSCA & other NSCA brands & logos are trademarks of Fire and Safety Australia Pty Ltd & are used under licence. The NSCA is a registered Training Organisation RTO No: 22250.