National freecall: 1800 655 510    Student and Member Portal  

News Articles and Updates Archive

Home
Filter by: Choke

A senior support worker has been issued with a suspended jail sentence after a woman with a severe disability died.

Tracey Gilboy, a senior support worker from Leeds in the UK allowed Alison Evers to be given a lolly on 20 April 2012, the UK Health and Safety Executive (HSE) reported in a media statement last week.

Evers was unable to ground down the lolly in her mouth enough to swallow it safely. She choked and later died in hospital.

Following an investigation, the HSE noted in a media statement that “Gilboy failed to take reasonable care for the safety of Alison Evers in a way that almost immediately set in motion a chain of events that directly led to her death”.

Gilboy pleaded guilty in the Leeds Crown Court to breaching Section 7(a) of the UK’s Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974. She was sentenced to 80 days jail, suspended for twelve months.

For more details, visit the HSE


Safe-T-Bulletin

Safety and Training E-Bulletin is a free subscription service emailed fortnightly with news, training dates and NSCA updates.

 

© Fire and Safety Australia Pty Ltd


Connect with the NSCA on LinkedIn Subscribe to RSS feed

 

The name NSCA & other NSCA brands & logos are trademarks of Fire and Safety Australia Pty Ltd & are used under licence. The NSCA is a registered Training Organisation RTO No: 22250.