This course provides the skills and knowledge necessary to identify asbestos containing materials (ACMs) or suspected ACMs, and to ensure that appropriate action is taken.
Topics covered include:
Identification of asbestos or asbestos containing materials; Why exposure to asbestos MUST be avoided; Emphasis on what to do if a suspected ACM is identified.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Understand the properties of asbestos
- Understand the health risks associated with asbestos exposure
- Be aware of how asbestos is used, and the likely occurrences of asbestos
- Identify asbestos and asbestos containing materials (ACMs)
- Describe the safety requirements of working with asbestos
- Implement emergency procedures to manage an uncontrolled release.
All participants will be issued with a Statement of Attendance. As this is only a brief awareness course, a competency-based accreditation cannot be awarded.
This course does meet the requirements for professional development, as required by a number of trades, and may therefore be used to gain professional development points.